Frequently Asked Questions - Working in the Sector

Do I need to have qualifications to work in the child and family support sector?

No, not all jobs require you to have a qualification. The sector values the skills, knowledge and cultural expertise of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. So, if you’re just starting out or thinking of changing careers there could be an opportunity for you. Current job advertisements often list the qualifications required for the role. This can help give you an idea of what study you could do to land the job you want. You can also compare university courses and vocational education and training (VET) courses and providers.    

It might take a bit of courage but finding out about what local services there are in your community and popping in to introduce yourself is also a great way to start. Often that personal connection can really help. From here you could get simply get some useful information or even find an opportunity that suits your personality and existing skills set.  

People who work with children and young people must hold a blue card or an exemption card. The blue card system is founded on the principle that children have a right to be protected from harm by creating safe and supportive environments. Head over to Blue Card Services to find out more. 

Are there supports available to help me study?

Yes. The best way to find out what supports you may be able to access is to contact the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander higher education units.

These units provide helpful support if you have any questions or worries about things like finding the right course for you, how to apply to study, moving away from home to study or how you can afford it. There are people ready to help and answer your questions.

How to find the right course to study?

Further education can give you the skills you might need to land that dream job. Education institutions like TAFE Queensland and universities have student support services available. You can also find information like finding the right course, pathways to further education (getting an OP, finishing Year 12 or alternative entry options) Information about vocational education and training (VET) and financial assistance

There are also resources to help you work out which course and which education institution would be right for you. QILT (Quality indicators for learning and teaching) allows you to compare coursework, real life student experiences and graduate employment opportunities. 

Where do I find jobs or opportunities?

Websites like Smart Jobs, Ethical Jobs, Indigenous Employment Australia and Seek have listings for jobs that are currently available. You can also explore volunteering as an option to learn new skills and gain work experience. 

Writing a job application can be hard. When you find a position that you’d like to apply for. Job Jump Start have some great tips to write a job application. If you land an interview the Queensland government have some tips to master an interview.