Knowledge and Resource Hub
01 April 2019

What can I do if my child sees content that’s offensive?

This brief paper from the  Office of the Children’s e-Safety Commissioner provides advice to parents on supporting children and young people who have been exposed to online pornography. The Commissioner suggests that parents encourage the child to talk to a trusted adult if they have seen something online that has upset, disturbed, or distressed them. Let them know that if they report viewing inappropriate content they will not be punished or have their access to the internet taken away. Educate them so that if they are sent something inappropriate online they know not to respond. It is also important to keep them connected to trusted friends and family online and offline.